We’re happy to see a few familiar names on the shortlists. It is always a joy to see people showing the benefits of getting outside in the fresh air, the awards have highlighted some of the people who’ve been doing just that.
The voting is now open here. There are 15 categories total for different aspects of enjoying the great outdoors. With awards for the people who strive to make outside an inclusive and accessible place.
Firstly however we’d love to mention the names of the independent hostels that made the shortlist for best hostel 2021.
Nestled between the trees Elterwater is a refuge for many walkers in the Lake District. Offering not just a place to rest up and plan for the next days walk, but also meet like minded ramblers and share your experiences. There’s easy access to the wealth of routes around the Lakes. Described by the Wainwright Society as “a perfect base for fellwalking, with so many notable fells in the vicinity” . Well worth a visit.
The Star Bunkhouse
Another beauty of a hostel that we’re happy to see nominated for the award. Right on the Beacons way you’ll find stunning views and a warm atmosphere. Catering for all those with muddy boots and a love of the outdoors. Whether you’re staying just for a night before continuing the towards the black mountains, or stopping for a weekend break they’ll make you feel welcome.
All Stretton Bunkhouse
Situated in the Welsh marshes, just a stones throw from the bustling town of Church Stretton, All Stretton bunkhouse offers comfortable self-catering accommodation with underfloor heating for individuals and small groups of up to 10 people. Expect walks and bike rides suitable for all abilities, stunning views and good company. Well deserving of this award and recognition of their hard work over the past year.
Other awards to note
While of course we do love our hostels here, there were several other awards that caught our eye. The walkers’ pub of the year gave us some brilliant recommendations for the hidden gems out there.
But more important than pints there were several categories that we thought deserved a mention.
Campaigner of the year
Inspiring campaigns that matter to walkers on access, conservation, and environment.
- 3 Dads Walking, campaign raising awareness of suicide, who have just recently finished their walk!
- Campaign for National Parks, campaign
- Guy Shrubsole, conservation and rewilding campaigner
- Joe’s Giants, a free mental health service campaigning for how the outdoors can improve mental health and well-being
All very worthwhile campaigns that are due recognition.
The Open Outdoors award
Recognising individuals or groups who have inspired people to head into the outdoors, widened participation, improved outdoor education, or encouraged diversity.
- BBC Radio Scotland Out of Doors, for bringing the beauty of Scotland’s landscape to all
- Black Dog Outdoors, promoting mental health through outdoor sport and recreation
- Black Girls Hike, providing a safe space for Black women to explore the outdoors
As we’ve always said the more people getting outside, experiencing the wonders of the UK, the better. We love to see people get inspired to do just that!
The Extra Mile award
Outstanding voluntary effort helps make a real difference to our experience in the outdoors. The Extra Mile award encompasses rangers, Mountain Rescue teams and personnel, and anyone else who volunteers their time for the benefit of the countryside and other walkers.
- Calder Valley Search and Rescue Team: “Heroes who have supported so many events and responded to incidents.”
- Caru Eryri: “A group of over 100 volunteers organised by the Snowdonia National Park Authority and Snowdonia Society who engaged with visitors & lifted over 700kg of litter from the national park in about 10 locations every Wednesday, Friday & every weekend from April to September.”
- Chris Lewis, Mountain Rescue volunteer: “Poor Chris had a serious fall whilst on a winter call-out during lockdown. He is the mark of why mountain rescue volunteers are heroes.”
And the people who make it all possible! Making it safe and enjoyable for everyone.
Be sure to vote if you’d like to commend a person or group on the list. You can do this here