Hostels and Bunkhouse are a natural way to take a low impact environmentally friendly holiday. Find out more about Green Hostels here.
Independent Hostels UK has been awarded Gold by the Green Tourism Business. We are committed to reducing the environmental impact of our activities and to continually improve our environmental performance. This is an integral part of our business strategy and operating methods, which we review regularly. We encourage our members, readers and suppliers to do the same.
What we have done already
- Our solar panels generate twice as much energy as our office uses.
- We reuse all cardboard packaging.
- All paper in our office is used on both sides.
- Our books and leaflets are printed on Recycled Paper.
- We print with Deltor, who generate 120kw of their own electricity to power the presses.
- We purchase Carbon Offset from The Woodland Trust to cover our transport.
- We recycle any waste that can no longer be reused.
- We use recycled toilet roll and environmentally friendly soap in our office.
- We have joined the GTBS and achieved the GOLD award.
- We promote the benefits of green travel to our readers
- Our website allows readers to search for green hostels and bunkhouses.
- There are symbols for GTBS awards and green ethos on the hostels website features.
- Our website has an Eco-Hostels page. This displays the grades achieved by hostels with GTBS awards.
- Our guidebook has a page about GTBS.
- There are symbols for GTBS awards and green ethos on the hostels printed features.
- We send Newsletters to our readers promoting the benefits of green travel and GTBS.
- We encourage hostel and bunkhouse owners to join the GTBS.
- We pass on environmentally friendly tips to hostel and bunkhouse owners.
- We provide a “Green Issues” message board for hostel and bunkhouse owners to add their tips.
- Our “Items Wanted and Available” message board is used for up-cycling of hostel equipment
- We support local charities (The Grand Pavilion restoration group) and community groups (BMW Brass Band)
- We have twinned our office loo with a toilet in Afghanistan via the Tearfund charity.
- We publish a Green Charter “How to be a good green hosteller“
What we plan to do
As well as continuing with the above we are committed to provide the following:
We have been awarded GOLD by the Green Tourism Business Scheme
The IHUK office and many of our hostels are members of the GTBS Green Tourism Business Scheme. We are audited by their assessors to ensure we are using the most environmentally friendly practices. Green Tourism is the largest sustainable certification body of its kind. Look out for the symbols on the hostel pages to see who has achieved the grading. The IHUK office has been awarded GOLD.