Skiddaw House Hostel, Bassenthwaite, Keswick, Cumbria, CA12 4QX
Call Martin or Suzy on 07747 174293
OverviewSkiddaw House is a remote mountain hostel, accessible only on foot or by mountain bike. Make the most of the tranquil location by hiring the whole hostel with a small group of friends or family. At 1550 feet (470m), it is the highest hostel in Britain and is an ideal base for reaching the summit of Skiddaw or exploring the quiet Northern Fells. A former shooting lodge and shepherd's bothy on the Cumbria Way, the hostel offers simple yet comfortable accommodation. Solar panels provide hot water and lighting, whilst wood-burning stoves provide the only heating. There is no mains electricity, phone signal, internet or TV to distract from the beautiful surroundings. The hostel is self-catering, but our small licensed shop stocks everything you need to make a simple meal. The nearest road is 3.5 miles away. Guests are advised to bring a map and torch.
Beds & Rooms:22 : 1 x 8, 2 x 5, 1 x 4
Open:Open from March 2021. Check in from 5pm; please contact the hostel if you would prefer to arrive a little earlier.
Price per night:Hire the whole hostel for small groups from £165 per night.
Booking:Book online for groups of up to six. Contact the hostel for family discount (up to two adults), or for larger groups.
Directions:Grid reference: NY 288 291. No access for cars, nearest road 3½ miles. Vehicles can be left at Fell car park by Blencathra Centre above Threlkeld, at Lattrigg car park (end of Gale Rd near Applethwaite) or at Whitewater Dash Falls south of Bassenthwaite.
Public Transport:Nearest trains and National Express coaches at Penrith. From Penrith take X4 or X5 bus to Keswick. From Keswick it is a 5 mile walk to the hostel.
Walks:Long Distance Walks Cumbria Way
Reopening 2021 Retreats Mountains in the UK Accommodation for Cyclists Camping Youth Hostels Eco Hostels Available to Individuals IHUK Signage
MapView Nearby Hostels
August 10th 2017
I had seen maps of Skiddaw Mountain showing the lonely Skiddaw House 1500m up on the mountainside miles from any road. I have admired photos of this old keepers house it its isolation but I was still unprepared for my first sighting of it.Read More
Re opening at the beginning of May and nearly fully booked already!
March 3rd 2021
We knew we had a very special hostel and this confirms it. There are a handful of nights still free, so get in touch to see if they are any good to you. You can always book for next year!
There’s hope for the future at Skiddaw House
January 12th 2021
From March 2021 there is availability in the highest hostel in Britain. We are taking exclusive hire bookings for groups of up to six priced very reasonably. If restrictions relating to Covid ease, guests will be able to expand their group size at an extra cost. We are offering midweek discounts and small family group discounts.
Skiddaw House is taking exclusive hire bookings for groups of up to six.
December 1st 2020
Hire the whole place for up to six people for dates between March and November 2021. With the option of expanding the group size (at extra cost) if restrictions are changed at the time of your stay. Guarantee of full refund if your booking needs to be cancelled due to Covid restrictions.
Hire the whole place for up to six people
We are now taking exclusive hire bookings for groups of up to six. This is ideally suited to families or small groups of friends.
• For groups of up to six people, who can be from different households. Group size may be expanded at an extra cost if desired, depending on restrictions at the time of your stay.
• Single night stays possible midweek, two night minimum stay on weekends.
• Availability between March – November 2021.
• £200 per night for groups of up to six; family rate £150 per night for up to two adults and four under 18’s.
• Facilities: three bedrooms, large common room (including dining area, self-catering facilities and comfy seating around wood stove), hot shower and four toilets. Bedding provided, towels available to hire.
• Hostel shop: we sell tinned/packaged food and a range of bottled beers, wines and soft drinks.
• Managers live on site so can be contacted when needed, but will otherwise keep indoor contact to a minimum.
• Bookings are dependent on government restrictions regarding COVID-19. We will offer a full refund if your booking needs to be cancelled due to changes to these restrictions.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to make your booking.