Seahouses Hostel and Hall are situated near to the pretty Read the full article…
Seahouses Hostel and Hall are situated near to the pretty coastal village of Seahouses in north Northumberland. Originally a girls’ school and the out buildings of a former vicarage, records from the Old Parish of Bamburgh (to which North Sunderland and Seahouses belong) dating back to around 1828 show that “a school supported by the Lord Crewe Trust, allowed £5.00 per year, a house and a garden, to a school master for the education of seven poor children.” And so the North Sunderland Church of England School was begun!
At first boys and girls aged between seven and nine attended the school together. Later, the boys had their education in a separate building further towards Seahouses. The children learned reading, spelling and writing. By 1836 numbers had grown to 54 and pupils would walk to school from as far away as Fleetham. The school closed in 1905 almost certainly due to a growing community and the need for larger premises to teach increased numbers of children.
The photograph shows teachers Miss Goode and Miss Lillie Turnbull with one of their classes – dated around 1905.