Elmscott Hostel, Elmscott, Hartland, Bideford, Devon, EX39 6ES
Independent Youth Hostel on the coast near HartlandElmscott, a former Victorian school, offers a next-to-nature retreat, surrounded by unspoilt coastline with sea views of Lundy Island. Great for walking, cycling, surfing and bird watching, there are amazing rock formations and quiet lanes to explore. The famous fishing village of Clovelly is a few miles away with its cobbled streets and pretty harbour. Elmscott is a few minutes' walk from the South West Coast Path which passes spectacular coves and river mouths. The accommodation is in one unit of 20 beds and another of 12 with mixed dorms, single sex dorms and private rooms. Access is available from 5pm in the afternoon to 10am in the morning (unless by prior arrangement). In winter accommodation is only available for groups. There is a new spacious large kitchen and dining area which is a great addition to the school room and the original well equipped kitchen in the school house. Games room and shop.
Beds & Rooms:32 (35 in winter): 1 unit of 20: 2x6, 2x4; 1 unit of 12: 1x6, 1x4, 1x2. Extra 3 bed room for sole use in winter.
Price per night:Adult £27-£30, under 16s £20-£23. Discounts for groups or longer stays.
Booking:In summer book direct with the hostel by phone or email. In winter book via the YHA website or for last minute bookings call the owners.
Directions:The hostel is in the small hamlet of Elmscott 4 miles from the village of Hartland. Grid Ref 231 217.
- Nearest trains Barnstaple (25 miles). Buses from Barnstaple to Hartland (4 miles from hostel). Phone hostel for taxi service.
- Long Distance Walks South West Coast Path
By the Sea Individuals welcome Youth Hostels
MapView Nearby Hostels
Is this the most magical experience in Devon?
January 9th 2023
Speke’s Mill Mouth waterfall is located in a beautiful area of rugged valleys and high cliffs; where seabirds swoop and wildflowers flourish. The waterfall plunges 48m from the edge of the cliffs to the rocky beach below. Speke’s Mill Waterfall is a short, coastal walk from Hartland Quay. Why not take a picnic (or a flask depending on the weather!) and spend some time appreciating the magical beauty of the North Devon coastline?
Staying at Elmscott Hostel when exploring this part of Devon is a no-brainer. There are up to 32 beds available in this iconic Independent Youth Hostel. And each bed is priced from £27 per night with the choice of dorms or private rooms. There is a new spacious large kitchen and dining area, games room and shop. It is located less than a mile from Speke’s Mill and has fantastic views of Lundy Island.
There is no shortage of amazing things to do in the local area:
- Visit the beaches: North Devon is home to many beautiful beaches, including Croyde Beach, Woolacombe Beach, and Saunton Sands. These beaches are popular for surfing, swimming, and other water sports.
- Explore Exmoor National Park: This beautiful national park is located in North Devon and is home to a variety of landscapes, including moorland, wooded valleys, and coastal cliffs. There are many walking and hiking trails to explore, as well as opportunities to spot wildlife such as red deer, otters, and peregrine falcons.
- Visit historic towns and villages: North Devon is home to many charming towns and villages, including Clovelly, a picturesque village with a steep cobbled main street that leads down to the sea. Other notable towns and villages include Braunton, Ilfracombe, and Lynton.
- Visit the coast: The North Devon coast is home to many beautiful coastal towns and villages, such as Combe Martin, Lynmouth, and Porlock. These towns offer stunning views of the sea and opportunities to explore the coast by foot or by boat.
- Visit the Tarka Trail: This long-distance walking and cycling trail follows the route of Tarka the Otter, a character from a famous book of the same name. The trail passes through a variety of landscapes, including countryside, woods, and coastal paths.
Why not treat yourself to Christmas or New Year on the Devon Coast?
November 3rd 2022
Elmscott Hostel could be just the place for your big family Christmas, or a New Year with a group of friends. There are two separate units, which can be booked individually or together. The School House sleeps 15 and the School Room sleeps 20. So much cheaper than a hotel or a holiday house.
Elmscot Hostel has a location to die for; it is surrounded by unspoilt coastline with sea views of Lundy Island. It’s your perfect base for walking, cycling, surfing and bird watching. There are amazing rock formations and quiet lanes to explore. The famous fishing village of Clovelly is just a few miles away with its cobbled streets and pretty harbour. What’s more, the South West Coast Path is just a few minute’s walk from the doorstep.