With over 300 years of mining in the vicinity and many original features still within the building, you can imagine life as a Lead Miner at Carrshield.
The building that now houses Carrshield Camping Barn is a Scheduled Ancient Monument due to its importance in the area’s industrial heritage. The building is a two-storey stone construction with the upper floor previously used for lodging, now used as the Camping Barn. The ground floor, which retains some original features, including several arched furnace openings and a blacksmith’s forge and an engine house at the northern end, has been converted into Carrshield Village Hall and Arts Centre.
In its heyday, this mine shop was the largest in the region.
In 2017, at imminent risk of collapsing beyond repair, Allendale Estate gifted the building to Allen Valleys Enterprise in a critical condition. With funding from Historic England and the Heritage Lottery Fund, during 2017-18, the building was renovated using traditional systems and existing materials to be preserved and serve as an asset for the local community.
Mining has taken place in the North Pennines since the Bronze age, but during the 1760’s, significant activity started within Carrshield. These mines were in use until the 1980’s.
Many of the remains of this industrial activity are still visible in the area, especially between Barney Craig and the village of Carrshield. Please take care when exploring and remember it is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and should not be damaged or have pieces removed.
Come and enjoy the history of the building and the surroundings by staying in our warm and cosy rooms, or even camp in the area just south of the building