Opened by the YHA in 1978 and still going strong

Greenhead Hostel Hadrians wall

Built in 1886 as a Methodist chapel for the village’s mining community, Greenhead Hostel was opened as a 40-bed hostel by the YHA in September 1978. After 28 years as a YHA hostel it was sold into private ownership in 2006. Initially it joined the YHA Enterprise scheme but pulled out in 2010, when it was sold for a second time. It was at this time, in 2010, that the hostel joined the Independent Hostel network. The hostel is run alongside the Greenhead Hotel, bar and restaurant on the opposite side of the road. Greenhead Hostel is perfectly located for stop-overs for walkers on Hadrian’s Wall and The Pennine Way.

Find out more about Greenhead Hostel
picnic tables outside greenhead hostel on Hadrian's wall

Contact Greenhead Hostel