High Street Hostel, 8 Blackfriars St., Edinburgh, EH1 1NE
Call Reception on 0131 557 3984
OverviewThe High Street Hostel has become a hugely popular destination for world travellers since opening in 1985 and is one of Europe's best regarded and most atmospheric hostels.
Located just off the historic Royal Mile in a 470-year-old building it is the perfect base for exploring all the city's attractions and of course its wonderful nightlife.
Providing excellence in location, ambience and facilities, the hostel is highly recommended by more than ten of the world's top backpacker travel guides
This accommodation is featured on our map of the Scottish Borders, Glasgow, Edinburgh and South Scotland and here is its own website.
Beds & Rooms:156.
Open:All year. All day.
Price per night:From £14 per person. ID required for check in.
Booking:Booking in advance not always crucial, 1 night's payment for booking.
Directions:From the bus station (St Andrews Square) turn left onto Princes Street then first right onto Northbridge. At the top turn left onto the High Street on the Royal Mile and hostel is on Blackfriars St. on right. From railway station main exit turn left onto Waverley Bridge then right at the mini roundabout and straight ahead up the Mound, at the junction go left, then at crossroads left again going down the Royal Mile. Cross at the traffic lights at Northbridge and Blackfriars St is second on the right. From the airport take bus 100 to last stop, Waverley Bridge and follow as above.
Public Transport:Only a 5/10 minute walk from Edinburgh bus station or Waverley train station. Taxis cost between £3-£5 from each. The airport bus also stops outside the train station on the last stop so it is very easy to get to the hostel.
Walks:Long Distance Walks
This accommodation is featured on the following pages
Close to a pub Winter Breaks in South Scotland Large Hostels Urban Hostels Bunkhouses and hostels near to pubs Available for Christmas 2020 Available February Half Term 2021 Scottish National Trail Available Easter 2021 Available May Day Bank Holiday 2021 Available Spring Bank Holiday or Whitson Half Term 2021 Near a Castle Breakfast available Private Rooms Eco Hostels Available to Individuals
MapView Nearby Hostels
October 15th 2011
High Street Hostel is located just off the High Street in the old town area of Edinburgh and claims to be the city’s oldest hostel. When you enter the solid and prominent building you are greeted by a large, warm and homely lounge area, furnished with sofas, table and chairs.Read More
High Street Hostel in Edinburgh is back! After months of emptiness our halls will finally be welcoming in guests again!
September 3rd 2020
We’re open again from Friday the 4th of September, but with a few tweeks to the way we do things. So if you’re looking to visit us please read on to see how we’ll be making High Street the cleanest environment possible for our future guests. Book on our website.
– Reception will be open from 07:00 to 11:00 and 17:00 to 23:00 each day and check in will only be available from 17:00. You are welcome to store luggage and use the common areas until check in.
– We will be running at a reduced capacity, so please book ahead to avoid missing out.
– We will not be accepting walk-ins: As we have a limited staff to clean the entire hostel, we will unfortunately not be accepting walk ins as we simply don’t have the staff to rapidly clean and prepare a room. Please book ahead!
– Temperature checks when checking in.
– Private bathroom stalls and showers: Each booking will get their own shower and bathroom stall to use throughout their stay. These will be cleaned with alcohol based disinfectant and bleach regularly throughout your stay in order to keep the cleanliness level of your bathroom area to the highest standard.
– Private rooms for each group: Each booking will be assigned their own room.
– Face masks will be mandatory: You will be required to have a face mask on while you’re moving around any of the common areas and hallways. This is the best way to keep you and our staff safe in these uncertain times.
– No lounge and kitchen use: Unfortunately these areas are a transmission danger zone and will be closed to guests for the time being. We have plenty of great recommendations for food in the area and places you can explore to keep yourself busy outside of the hostel.
– No breakfast & laundry services.
– Extra cleaning measures: Our staff will be working around the clock to keep the hostel as clean as possible. They’ll be wearing masks at all times in the common areas and regularly clean all “touch points” throughout the hostel.
– Hand sanitizer for everyone!
– No events.
If you’re looking to visit Edinburgh soon then check out our sister hostel Castle Rock Hostel
August 28th 2020
We’re working hard to make our home COVID-safe, but we don’t have a definite opening date just yet. Keep checking back for details.
Zip through Edinburgh’s old town on two wheels
February 19th 2020
What better way to take in Edinburgh? High Street Hostel has bike storage so you can fly over the cobbled streets and soak up the culture of this wonderful place.
A more traditional backpackers hostel. Expect lively communal rooms and friendly banter. Right in the center of Edinburgh, just a 10 minute walk from Waverley train station. A perfect location for city explorers wanting to see Edinburgh’s many attractions. Perhaps the Scottish National Portrait Gallery takes your fancy, maybe Edinburgh castle or you could just want to go round many of the great eating and drinking spots in the city. Anything is possible. Especially when you stay at a hostel right in the thick of it!… Just make sure to remember your bike lock.